WHAT IS A STD OR STI? WHY SHOULD I GET TESTED?
Sexually transmitted diseases (STD) are very common. In fact, every year, there are more than 20 million new cases. For those that are sexually active and over the age of 25, it is thought that one in two people will have a new STD. There is a possibility that you will contract a STD, even while practicing safe sex. This is why it is recommended that you get tested for STD’s on a regular basis.
Here are just a few reasons why you should do so:
- Don’t Spread the Disease:The best reason to get tested for an STD is to make sure that you do not spread the disease, if in fact you are positive for an STD. Almost every STD is easily transmitted, therefore, if you are sexually active, you will want to have regular testing done to avoid spreading the disease to your partner.
- Many STD’s do not Show Symptoms Right Away: You may have an STD for months before you experience symptoms, and meanwhile, you have infected your partner. Additionally, you are unable to start any treatments to clear up the STD and prevent future outbreaks. Early detection can help limit the effects of these diseases through pre-emptive STD testing.
- STD’s can be serious with life-threatening risks: Some STD’s may be just a nuisance, however, if left untreated, can escalate into something more serious. Also, it has been determined that those with STD’s have a higher chance of contracting more serious STD’s that are life-threatening, such as HIV.
- Unappealing Signs / Symptoms:Some STD’s have embarrassing symptoms that can be painful too. The sooner you are diagnosed, the sooner you can begin a treatment regimen, and lessen the visible signs of an STD. Avoid the chance of having these visible signs by getting tested regularly.
- Practice Safe Sex:Although it is not 100% foolproof, always practice safe sex. The best way to deal with an STD is not to get one, and that means using proper protection at all times.
STD’s can cause a host of physical issues and symptoms. That is not to say that they are not curable, but many have lasting effects that will stay with you forever. More than the embarrassment, STD’s can cause a host of other medical issues, including sterility, infertility, (you will not be able to conceive a child), and in some instances, cause cancer.
Some of the common STD services we offer include:
- Chlamydia Test
- Hepatitis Test
- HIV Test
- HPV Test (human papillomavirus)
- Gonorrhea Test
- Syphilis Test
If you notice any changes in your genital area, or problems urinating or during sexual activity, contact our office right away. No one wants to discuss this subject, but prevention and knowing you are STD free is half the battle. Get tested on a regular basis, it may be the best decision you ever make!
We are located just 2 miles away from the galleria mall in Southwest Houston close to US 59 and Chimney Rock Rd. For more information – call us today at (713)-640-5754